Monday, June 8, 2009

Camping and the love of Nature?

My family along with my sister's family went camping this weekend. One of our favourite places to camp is at, 'The Pinery' by Grand Bend on Lake Huron. It was a great weekend! We had campfires and ate s'mores and ate some more! Food tastes great outside in the woods. The Pinery is situated in an Oak Savannah. This is a rare habitat and is protected because of it.

Most people who camp do so for the love of the outdoors and the love of seeing nature at it's best. The campsites are a good size with lots of privacy. There is lot's to do like hiking and playing on the extensive beach and attending the naturalist programs. The kid's get a chance to learn and understand nature and they develop a healthy respect for wanting to preserve and protect what they see.

There is a lot taken for granted when camping. Campers tend to respect fellow campers stuff. You can leave your campsite to go fishing or hiking confident your campsite will remain untouched. The kids are free to go and come as they please. It's great ...no complaining of being bored.

When it's time to go everyone helps to pack up and make sure the site is cleaner than when we arrived. So, how do you explain it to the kids when as we are taking our last hike we walk past many sites whose owners have departed leaving all of their garbage behind. It's disgusting! There are many garbage receptacles available and there is a minimum $125.00 fine for leaving garbage on site. What are these people thinking? I think it's a bit hypocritical to sleep and eat under the stars and then leave a mess behind???

The park staff are great and do their best to keep the park in fabulous shape. Camping is one of those vacations which do not cost a lot of money. All you need is shelter and food. The sites are very inexpensive and the experience is well worth it! Those campers who choose to leave more than their footprints behind will in time make camping more and more expensive as the parks will have to hire more staff to maintain the campgrounds. Or the programs might no longer be available or they might even have to cut down on the number of sites to camp on!

With all the information we now have at hand, I would certainly hope that the number of disrespectful 'campers' will in time diminish and leave in their wake a beautiful and more peaceful world to enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Good to hear from you Cathy. I thought you ladies dropped of the world, no posts since Thurs.
    Well its good to see you are out enjoying nature. I also LOVE to camp. Although as the years go by I need at least an air mattres. A camper would be better. Last time I camped was for the month of October last year. But some how it did not feel like camping. It was in a coach camper. You know one of those gray hound bus campers. Had everything frig, stove, microwave, toilet, shower, my own bedroon. But we did cook outside on the BBQ.
    Kids love camping, all except Carolin. I don't know if it was the bears staring her in the face when she woke or the pneumonia she caught from the damp ground. It could have been that time we camped for five full days of totally down pour of rain. Or the time she was lost in northern Ontario in the wilderness. What ever it was she only likes to camp the Hilton now.
    A nice camp ground close to you is Earl Roawe just west of Alliston. We use to camp there a lot. Alliston has a great Potatoe Festival something in August. You should try it out.
    LOve You

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a very nice time Cathy, and I am so glad you went and it wasn't me! Mommie is right when she writes how much I do not like camping, yes I was lost in Norther Ontario, and yes I remember wakeing up to the mother bear staring at me. In my defence I do like alot of things about camping. Bacon and eggs never tasted better then when they are cooked outside on a open flame. I like that there is no TV. I like to be around nature and go for hikes and love the sound of the loones. But the sleeping part is what I hate. If we could pack my bed and BATHROOM then I would be somewhat good. Also there is the bug situation. Trust me living were we do you need that deep woods off, even better if we could get 100% deet. I would ideally like camping if we could camp during the day and then hotel it at night. That would be perfect! Mommie is write about the potatoe festival I have lots of great memories of that especially when we all got smart and starting staying in the hotel together. Renting out a floor for all of us. Good Times

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy your camping weekend sounds great. I myself have never been camping in my whole life. We talk about it sometimes and I would go but hubby has no desire to do so. I'm not sure if I would enjoy it or not but I kind of think all together and no technology, it would probably be pretty great. Carolin and Mommie, you two are so funny and so much alike.
    When I first read Mommies comment about the potato festival the first thing that I thought of was how much Carolin would love that and how she would tell us stories about it.

    ReplyDelete