Thursday, June 4, 2009

How Can They Get a Job and I Can’t?

A couple of funny things have happened this week that makes you shake your head and say WTH? (what the heck)

Yesterday ‘the husband’ and I are out running errands and we stop outside of Blockbuster to return a movie. When I got back in the car my husband is shaking his head and smiling. I asked him “what’s so funny”. He said, “Did you see that guy walk by”. I did and we both start to laugh.

The man that walked by appeared to be in his seventy’s if not older. He was shuffling very slowly down the sidewalk and was severely hunched over. None of this is the funny part so be patient. He had his lunch bag in one hand and a cane in the other. What made both of us notice him was he was in full uniform. Not a military uniform but a security guard uniform, yes that’s what I said, a security guard uniform. Now I am sure he is a great guy and was properly very fit in his day but what the heck could he be guarding now and just how secure would you feel with him guarding it?

The second funny happened today while I was out shopping for a curtain rod with Sunshine. We were at the cash and I gave the cashier $21.27 in cash for an $11.27 bill. I was expecting a $10.00 bill back in change. When the cashier opened the cash she realized she didn’t have a 10 to give me. I had been trying to avoid the loonie/toonie change but if she didn’t have, she didn’t have it, it was not a biggie for me. But what was amusing is she didn’t apologize for the lack of change, what she did say was “Oh crap I ain’t got no 10s”.

So this is my question. How come theses two can get jobs and I can’t even get someone to read my proposal, bother to return a phone call or email.

I know they deserve a job and age shouldn’t matter. I do however think if you are guarding something of value, (I am assuming what he guards is of value or why bother guarding it in the first place) that he should be somewhat agile and be able to intimidate the bad guy. And I get it that it can be helpful to speak more then one language when working with the pubic. But should that negate proper manners and customer service?
So after all these months driving myself crazy going to workshops, changing my resume, rehearsing every possible scenario any employer could put my way, I now know why I haven’t been able to get a job.

I am just to polite and way to young!

1 comment:

  1. Well the next time you have a interview send a card to the interveiwer asking. " Why the crap won't you hire me befor all my teeth fall out"? You will more then likly get that second interview.

    ReplyDelete