Sunday, January 17, 2010

Bench Talk: Games Night

We were all together at Louise's home Saturday night for a games night. It was a lot of fun! There are so many games that you can play with a big group of people. We do have our favourites, for example: Phase 10 and Wizard. We also have a blast playing Pictionary. It's great because the children can now join in with us adults and we can play together. It doesn't matter who wins, (right Sunshine?) it's just great to get together and play.

What are your favourite games and do you and your family plan a games night every week?

When the teenager was little we had a No TV on Sunday rule. Usually on that day we would do stuff as a family and one of the things the three of us liked was to play board games. We tried to continue that family time when the little one got old enough for games. But unfortunately she did not get the 'Game Gene' and does not enjoy playing boardgames. We have tried Candyland and match games when she was around 4 - 5 years old. Not that long ago we tried the game Sorry but that didn't work. Sometimes she will play a card game like War or Old Maid but not in a while now. Last year I bought a jonour game of Charades which all my family played and she seemed to enjoy it for a while then got bored. This year I bought pictionary (which we played last night at Louise's) which she seemed to enjoy for a while but then decided she would rather draw pictures on her own.

When my extended family gets together we usually end up playing ramoli (card game) but I do get a little tired of it. I like most games and would enjoy getting together with others to play more often.

(Sunshine) When we get together with my side of the family we always end up playing something. Usually its cards because that is what my dad enjoys the most. All of the kids know how to play cards and they also like to play board games. Little Miss Sunshine would love to play cards or a board game everyday if she could. Miss Teen Sunshine likes to play when she can be among the adults. It is a fun way to spend a few hours together.

My mom always included us in any games or cards being played when we were kids even though I remember some of the adults being annoyed by having us young kids who really didn't play as well as they did be a part of the games. She would remove herself from the adult game and rally up all of us kids and any other willing adults and we would all play cards. It took time but we really enjoyed ourselves and we all learned how to play. I am happy that my kids also know how to play cards and board games. They really enjoy themselves a lot. After all why should the adults have all the fun?

We started a family talk night on Thursdays a few years ago. After dinner we would usually stay around the table and discuss whatever came to mind and play games. We like card games a lot. We taught the kids how to play euchre and their grandparents have taught us all how to play Texas rummy. The boys love to play board games that involve strategy like Risk and Stratego. I like playing Sorry and Payday.

I don't care if I win or lose, however, the male element in my family are very competitive! When they start getting too intense I tend to lose interest. When I was little we used to play board games on a Sunday. Dad would cook the Sunday dinner and mom, my sister and I would play Payday for hours, sometimes into the wee night! It was loads of fun.

We also enjoy getting together with everyone for a games night. Pictionary is a hoot! We divide into teams and use the kids art easel as it has a white board on it. We can then use a washable marker and the board is big enough for all to see the 'wonderful' drawings!

I'm glad to see that there is still a lot of people who play the 'old fashioned' board games. The computer games are ok in moderation, however, there is a lot to be said for the laughter and personal interaction you get from playing and talking together.

So, go out and buy yourselves a favourite boardgame or a new deck of cards and ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment