Monday, July 5, 2010

Bench Talk - Is this Hot Toronto Weather a direct result of global warrming?

(Sunshine) The heat wave is on. It was a high of about 38 degrees Celsius today and the rest of the week looks to be just as hot. Is global warming the reason for such warm temperatures? Our summers and winters have changed and sometimes the fall and spring seasons seem to be much shorter then I remember. I love Canada and the four distinct seasons that we have is one of the things that I enjoy most about where we live. (Cathy) It's funny that as we get older we talk about how much the weather has changed from when we were young! We all do it! I start many conversations by saying, "I remember when I was young the summer (or winter) was ... I do believe the world weather patterns have changed. I have read that as weather patterns have only been tracked for about one hundred years, it's not known if this is a change or just a normal cycle of weather. O.K., here goes, I remember summers when I was young when there was not one soul outside except us kids. We would build tents out of old bed sheets and clothes pegs and lawn chairs. Someone's mom would make us a lunch of peanut butter and jam sandwiches and milk with an apple. We would play with our Barbies or read comic books or play cards. We were outside all day. I think we would even fall asleep in our tents for an afternoon nap! Can you remember the buzzing sound when it was super hot out? I used to think it was the power lines vibrating, however, and I think it was Sunshine who told me, that it's actually the cicadas making the noise.
Summers were hot and long and simple. We ate lunch at whomevers home we were closest to. We ate homemade popsicles made from kool-aid and splashed in a blowup pool to keep cool.

So, is this heat we are experiencing a result of global warming? I'm sure the pollution in our atmosphere has a lot to do with it. I'm just glad we are actually having a summer and not a long wet spring like last year. (I hope I didn't just jinx it!).

No comments:

Post a Comment